Thank you for your interest in MN Special Hockey! We strive to make our program a great experience for our skaters and our volunteers. Volunteer roles are based on your interest and availability, as well as the needs of the teams and programs.
While we certainly look to accommodate as many volunteers as possible as a way for our program to “give back”, there are some very simple requirements & expectations we have of our volunteers that we want to communicate upfront for you to consider:
1. TRAINING REQUIRED - Coaches and Assistant Coaches must be at least 18 years of age and are required to complete the USA Hockey Coaches Training and required modules before December 31, 2014. The clinic is tentatively scheduled for October 25 and more information on this clinic will be provided soon. The required modules can be found at http://usahcepmodules.flexxcoach.com/
2. AGE REQUIREMENTS - Our on-ice volunteers with MSHA must be at least be a freshman in high school, or be able to be accompanied by an adult on the ice each time. Volunteers under the age of 18 need a parent or guardian to sign the electronic USA Hockey Waiver Form on their behalf.
3. COMMITMENT - Given that we will most likely pair our on-ice volunteers up with one specific player, it is important that we have consistency and commitment from our team of volunteers. The majority of our athletes typically do better in a very structured environment and working with the same person is an important part of their weekly routine. While we don’t expect every volunteer to make every single practice or game, we don’t want this to be viewed as a place to go when it is “convenient” for the volunteer either. We typically only get together one hour a week, so the time commitment is minimal, but important.
4. COMFORTABLE - All volunteers must be comfortable dealing with people who live with some form of disability. We fully realize that any persons comfort with this may grow based on increased exposure, but it is important to note.
5. WILLING TO HAVE FUN - Lastly, it is imperative that our volunteers are out-going and have a sense of humor. Keep in mind that for many of our players, this one hour we are together each week during our season and the events planned throughout the year may be the highlight of their week. It is imperative that we all have fun!!!!!
If you meet the criteria listed above and want to apply for a volunteer position in our program, please click on the registration link below. Thank you for your interest in MN Special Hockey.
Click on this link to begin the registration process.
For Questions regarding volunteering with our program
For questions regarding registration